How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9123
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ranitidine 150 mg possible ingestion by 65 pound lab. Do I

Customer Question

Ranitidine 150 mg possible ingestion by 65 pound lab. Do I need to take her to a vet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your lab but happy to reassure you that this dose of Ranitidine wouldn't constitute a toxic one for her. While this is obviously a higher dose than would be prescribed for her (about three times her normal dose), I wouldn't expect any significant reactions.

At 1200 mg for a dog this size, diarrhea might be seen. At extremely high doses (over 6000mg), tremors, vomiting and rapid breathing might be seen. Clearly, she didn't receive anywhere close to these dosages.

I would expect her to be just fine. I hope this helps to reassure you about her ingestion of this drug. Deb