Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My six pound Maltese poodle that is 11 years old swallowed a

Customer Question

My six pound Maltese poodle that is 11 years old swallowed a 10 milligram ambien what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the Ambien that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. With Ambien (zolpidem) what we see in dogs is mild sedation at around 0.2 mg/kg and paradoxical signs of hyperactivity and hyper-sensitivity at around 0.6 mg/kg. Your dog received a dose of 3.6 mg/kg, so at that dose I would be very concerned about side effects such as agitation, wobbliness, hyper-sensitivity and hyperactivity. While there are no guarantees this is unlikely to be a fatal overdose.

3. If you fail to induce vomiting and adverse symptoms of any sort set in then you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay. There is no specific antidote to this drug in the dog, however your veterinarian can give either acepromazine or cyproheptadine to counteract the effects and then general support until this passes through her system.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Precious is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ambien ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.