Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

It has been slmost two hours between the puppies. I know she

Customer Question

Hi it has been slmost two hours between the puppies . I know she has another one . She just passed a clot. She pants then lays back down
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it is starting to come. I see a crowning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I try to help
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Did the pup come yet? DO NOT PULL ON THE PUP.

How many pups has she had so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 the third one is crowning but she hasn't push it out. She won't let me touch her.

JaCustomer,

Thanks for the additional information. Usually after an hour it is considered an emergency and you should have a dog seen by your vet. However, a little extra time between horns of the uterus is not unusual. The uterus is shaped like a Y with the pups in each horn. So sometimes it takes a little time for the pup to move down. Now if a pup is partially out, you can grasp the pup, but do not pull. You grasp it to stop it from slipping back up into the female but don't pull. This can sometimes help a pup be expelled with the next contraction.

At this point though, she might be in trouble and need vet care. Read the following sites on difficult labors and deliveries.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899

Here is another article on dystocia.
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/article/dystocia-diagnosis-management?96m5sri9MY

If this was my girl, I'd go ahead and have her seen. Your vet may be able to just give her a shot to strengthen the contractions. He can also evaluate her and see if a c-section is necessary or not.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mocha. How is everything going?