Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 5 day old pup that just vomited and has a greenish

Customer Question

I have a 5 day old pup that just vomited and has a greenish yellow loose stool
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What is this pup being fed? Is it eating/drinking well?

Are its gums moist or sticky? Pink or pale/white?

Does its skin tent when you lift it or snap right back down as it should?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pup has been nursing from his mom and has been doing great until last night. He will not nurse now. His gums are a bit dry but not bad.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we need to tread with great care here. This is because this pup is very young and therefore at very high risk of dehydration with this. Now if he is vomiting, we will be limited with what we can do, since anything we give risks aspiration into the lungs. Therefore, if he is vomiting profusely and cannot keep anything down, we'd want to get your local vet involved so that we can bypass his mouth with injectable treatment (ie anti-vomiting medication, antibiotics, fluids).

Otherwise, if he isn't vomiting profusely, we will need to consider supplementing fluids. We want him to still take from mum but also start giving an electrolyte solution (ie Resorb, Lectaid, Pedialyte, etc). Between these two sources, he needs to be taking in at least 4.8ml per 100 grams of his body weight per day plus a volume to match how much fluid he is passing in diarrhea and vomit.

Just to note, if he becomes dull or lethargic at any point, then we may need to give him a sugar boost. You can do this by rubbing honey, or sugary syrup (ie karo/glucose/pancake/etc) on his gums. This will help give him some energy despite his obvious nutrition losses here.

Finally, if you think he can keep treatment down, I would note that you could give him a small dose or OTC
Normal
0
Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). We'd only want to give 0.25-0.5 ml every 8 hours. But this can coat the stomach to reduce nausea and slow diarrhea. So, this could help this wee one avoid dehydration as we care for him. Of course, if the signs persist, then we likely have a bacterial or viral issue that may need antibiotics too.

Overall, pups with upper and lower GI signs are high risk cases. They have little body reserve and dehydration and blood sugar crashing are a real risk. Therefore, we need to use the above just now but if he is profusely vomiting, then we'd want him to his vet urgently for those injectable treatments to settle this before it can take any toll on him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. He only weighs 6.8 oz. Could he have parvo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

If he is 6.8oz, he will need 9.6ml per day. As well, with how immune naive they are at this age, that is a real worry. So, that would be a potential trigger for the signs we are seeing. But hopefully this is just an opportunisitc bacterial infection.

All the best,

Dr. B.