Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a male Shih Tzu, 8 years old. When he was 6 months

Customer Question

I have a male Shih Tzu, 8 years old. When he was 6 months old, he kept on puking up any kind of dog food feed to him. I read on the Internet that I should just give him; plain boiled skinless chicken. So for 8 plus years that is all he has eatin 3 times a day. Now I'm having problems with any type food I try to feed him. Beef, fish, pork, chicken, dried food, etc. He seems to tank up on ice water! Vets here in the Philippines have been little or no help. Everything has failed. Can you offer any ideas? Thanks for your valuable time and consideration. Mike
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Mike, if Mikie ate nothing but chicken for 8 years I'm surprised that he's still alive. That would leave him calcium deficient and suffering from nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism. Nutritional osteodystrophy would result and would be evidenced by diffuse bone loss and pathological fractures. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.