Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 21/2 year old silky -yorkie mix .He has been eating

Customer Question

i have a 21/2 year old silky -yorkie mix .He has been eating the same dog foot for almost 2 years with no problem and then he started throughing up everytime he ate. i cooked rice and hamburger for him and he stopped throughing up but he was having normal bowel movements now he seems to be constipated has not gone for a day and a half . he had one bout of diareehea about 2 days ago and nothing since
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he been vomiting?

Has he been straining to pass feces?

Is he drinking normally?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stop vomitting when i stopped dog food.
last night squatted a few times to have a movemnt nothing happened
drinking normally
belly was tender 2 nights ago and seemed bloated that is when he had a movement that was like diarrehea.
did not eat anything unusual we are aware of - he is a house dog and only walked on a leash
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now it is unlikely that his signs are related to his normal diet. Instead, he was likely vomiting due to nausea and the light diet is easier for that upset stomach to tolerate. With that in mind, we'd want to continue the light diet until his stomach is settled and then can wean him back to his old diet when he is ready.

Otherwise, we need to see if we can get those stools moving. Now if he had diarrhea and then was put on a light diet, then he may not have much stool to pass just now. Still, if he is straining, then we do need to tread with care. Therefore, I would suggest trying some home treatments to get him to pass stool. Of course, if we see diarrhea when he does, we'd need to stop these supportive measures that I will now outline. Specifically, to help get things moving you can add a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to his food. These will help lubricate his feces to get them moving through the gut. As well, to help with fecal regularity, we can try also adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to those light diet meals. These can just help push feces through the GI.

So, we'd want to add these to his light diet at this point. If he starts passing normal stool, then we are happy. But if you try this and he is still straining, cannot pass stool, or has any more vomiting; then we'd want to consider a check +/- xray to make sure he hasn't a blockage (from something he ate, hard feces, or even due to the gut being compressed by another organ) that needs an enema to clear out.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if i added too much rice to his food ,Can this cause constipation .I took your advice and i just gave him some chicken mixed with pumpkin .i walked him for an hour prior to this with no attempts to even go ,so hopefully after he digests the pumpkin i am see a difference ..thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible if he has had a lot, but usually it doesn't. In any case, I would keep doing as we have discussed and again use a GI lubricant or cat hair ball treatment if he isn't passing stool for us soon.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your advice .i used the pumpkin mixed with some cut up chicken and he finally had a movement i have one last question s i can rate you and end this segment. Should i continue to use pumpkin for awhile .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I would juse the pumpkin for the next few days just to make sure we keep those stools normal and regular. You could even do so until you wean him back to his normal diet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet