Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 year old minature male daschund. Came home to m

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old minature male daschund.
Came home to him breathing really fast and shallow. He was limping a little last night and this morning when I left. Has not eaten well for a few days now. Not sure what's going on, but I know he old. He's in his bed now and doesn't want move around.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a day to wait!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation. Buddy's breathing is worrisome but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I might conjecture that it indicates pain because he was limping last night and by the principle of Occam's Razor the pain of degenerative disk disease should always be an important differential diagnosis in a doxi - particularly an elderly one. It can also indicate cardiopulmonary disorders and metabolic acidosis - a low blood pH resulting from many metabolic disorders seen at his age. Most important, we don't have the luxury of "watchful waiting" a 14 year old who doesn't have the reserve that a much younger dog has and so I must encourage your having Buddy attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Buddy needs a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to his spine and including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. X-rays of his spine may be recommended but many of us will rely on the history and physical exam findings to make the call for a disk.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.