Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My Shi-Tzu has been walking around with s tail between s

Customer Question

My Shi-Tzu has been walking around with his tail between his legs. This is unusual as he is always happy go lucky and tail always up in the air. He is eating and seems to be okay but he is not acting himself
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Have you checked the anal glands at all? These are located on either side of the anus. Look for any swelling or redness in the area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have, they don't seem to be red or swollen and he hasn't been scooting
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you that is good. Given the breed, the next thing to look at would be a problem with the spine, the tissue that cushions the discs sometimes hardens and presses on the spine causing pain. You will see a dog that is not interested in playing, climbing steps, or jumping on and off furniture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, how would one check that?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

That would have to be done by x ray or myelogram. Check the gums to be sure they are pink and not pale or white.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call my vet.......Okay, thanks
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

then check them for capillary refill time. Press and release a finger on the gums, the area should blanch and return to the normal color. If it takes less than one second or more than two seconds to return to normal she is ill.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If the gums look okay and she is eating and drinking then you can try giving her an anti inflamatory. Do you have anything like Rimadyl for her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I will look at the gums and go from there
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If she is not already on an anti inflammatory drug such as Rimadyl you can try giving some buffered aspirin and I will direct you to a site that goes over dosage. http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

Try to keep her well rested for now , no play just outings for potty

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You can also take her temperature rectally. You can use any thermometer. Normal should be between 100.5 and 102.5, if it nears just over 103 then she has a fever and this can be due to an infection/illness in the body.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If you find that the aspirin helps you can wait on the vet appointment but do keep notes on when this occurs, how long it lasts, and changes in activity as I mentioned above about the play and jumping on furniture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

At that time you will want to ask your vet for a safer anti inflammatory for dogs such as Rimadyl to have on hand as this can come and go. Much like a human that has back problems, they are not always in pain but if they move wrong they can throw their back out

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

With aspirn and rest you should see improvement by tomorrow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, will do....
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I will be tossing good thoughts Jack's way. I Just noticed I called him a her ! Adding insult to his injury! So sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Thanks again. I will sign off now.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

okay best of luck to you:)

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sally, Jack is doing better. I believe it was an ear infection and he is doing better since I have given him something for that. Thanks for asking
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I am so happy to hear this! So it can be taken care of easy enough with antibiotics. Thank you for keeping me posted!