Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My just ate one of the bait square ant bait

Customer Question

My ***** ***** just ate one of the bait square for spectrcide ant bait
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long ago did Christmas eat it?

Was it just the bait, or was it the plastic housing too?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi again....I'm getting ready to log off for the night, but didn't want to leave you without any information about this kind of ingestion....

Most ant baits are very safe since they contain non-toxic ingredients to pets; or the ones that contain problem ingredients (like this one which contains 0.05% Indoxacarb ), have such low doses that most dogs are not affected.

If you were going to be seeing any problems it would be in the first hour or two and they are: nausea and vomiting, abdominal cramping, incoordination, or tremors. Because your dog is a smaller breed, there is a possibility that she's going to be affected more than a larger breed dog would be.

If you see the tremors or blood in vomit/diarrhea then you need to go the the vet right away. If you see nothing after the first hour or two you should be fine. If your dog ate the plastic part then watch a couple days later for vomiting as sometimes the plastic pieces don't pass and this can be a problem too, so I would monitor them for a few days for things like lethargy, anorexia, inability to defecate or trying to vomit with no success.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Christmas. How is everything going?
Lisa