How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16183
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 85 lbs Lab just found and ate a 2.5 oz box of peanut

Customer Question

my 85 lbs Lab just found and ate a 2.5 oz box of peanut chews. They are covered in chocolate but contain peanuts and caramel. I don't really know if he's going to be alright.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question tonight. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long ago did this happen?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 30 mins ago
yes I have hydrogen peroxide
no, he's not on medications
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog. Obviously your dog didn't get anywhere near that amount of chocolate, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

Of course, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and the safest thing to do is to induce vomiting in your pup. Details on how to make that happen can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The best thing to do is give him some peroxide. Then adopt a watch and wait posture.. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and, worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizuring or dying from chocolate. I would also keep an eye open for tense stomach, attempting to vomit or defecate with no success and abdominal swelling as this can be a sign of intestinal blockage from any leftover wrappers that he may have ingested.

I hope this helps!

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa