Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is not eating or drinking and has a shaking episode

Customer Question

my dog is not eating or drinking and has a shaking episode at random intervals, about every 5-10 seconds. He is also panting a bit.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rusty. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you look at his gums, do they appear pink, or pale in color? Can you take his temperature with a rectal thermometer?

There are many things that can cause shaking, and not eating and drinking. Dog will shake like this if they are painful, have a fever, or have an internal disease. Panting is also a sign of pain or fever.

He needs a good physical examination, to find out where his problem is. Until you can get him to your veterinarian, keep him quiet. I am reluctant to recommend giving anything, even aspirin, if he is not eating since he could have a digestive upset and aspirin would make that worse. Please let me know what color his gums are, and if you can take his temperature; that will help.

Hope to hear from you soon. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Rusty doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is fine now, maybe an upset tummy. Thanks for the response, no longer needed. Thanks again
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear it! Thank you for the update. I will close the conversation. Rebecca