Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a seven week old puppy and he seems to have a fever.

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** have a seven week old puppy and he seems to have a fever. His nose is very warm and dry as well as his ear tips being warm. He was panting when he was awake though it wasn't that warm in here. He's passing gas in his sleep and it's kinda stinky. We took him to the emergency vet last Saturday for abnormal loose stool and lethargy and we already know he has a bacterial growth, which he is being medicated for. I just want to make sure nothing else is wrong.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What treatments is he on at the moment?

Does he seem tender, tense or sore in his belly?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's currently on the liquid antibiotic Metronidazole Suspension and the dosage is 0.27 every twelve hours. He doesn't seem to be panting as much now, though his breathing rate is 48. 8 breaths per ten seconds. His belly seems okay and his gums are fairly pink. I don't know if it was just a bought of heat or what but I just want to make sure since he's so little.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now that breathing rate is a bit higher then normal. Still, if Kenai's gums are pink, then we can all breathe a sigh of relief since that tells us that we do have adequate oxygenation here. And with that aside, we'd be most suspicious that the panting is due to him feeling unwell or uncomfortable. Which is not totally unexpected if he has gas stretching the gut and an ongoing bacterial GI bug (which could be triggering fever as well). So, we'd just want to monitor that at this point.

In this situation, there are no signs to panic about just now. The antibiotic is appropriate for a GI infection and should be continued. Further to that though, if his stools are loose and he is gassy (which can be related to the infection but also due to an imbalance of his GI microflora) then we could try some further treatment to slow the diarrhea, soothe the gut, and help the GI bacteria normalize. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon)would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI alongside his antibiotic.

Overall, Kenai's signs sound like a pup uncomfortable with an ongoing GI infection. Therefore, we could add the above and also offer a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese) but otherwise do just want to monitor him to make sure he stays more settled now.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! He seems to be sleeping soundly now. His ears and nose have cooled down so he's not as warm as before. I feel better having heard this.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that he has settled now. We'd just want to keep an eye and use the above as needed for him.

Take care & all the best to you both,

Dr . B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course, and thanks again! Take care yourself!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You too & all the best,

Dr. B. :)

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Seri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kenai. How is everything going?
nekovet