Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

We noticed a small bump above my dog's left eye a couple of

Customer Question

HI Lisa, we noticed a small bump above my dog's left eye a couple of days ago. She seemed perfectly normal and it didn't seem to be hurting her. It had a very small black point right in the middle of it, so we thought it was maybe a bug bite. This morning, she was rolling around on her blanket and when she stopped we noticed blood where the bump is. She must have "popped" it (?) when rolling around. Can we apply antibiotic ointment on it or does this warrant an immediate visit to the vet? Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.

I understand your concern about a small lump above your pup's eye that appears to have broken open and bled today.

As long as the lump isn't continuing to actively bleed, and she is happy otherwise, I see no need to rush her in today to emergency. I recommend that her usual veterinarian take a look at it in the next few days.

In order to help her though you can clip the hair in the area around and over the open area very short, and use a solution mix of Betadine solution (povidine iodine solution) and warm water, made to look like weak tea to clean it. Clean the affected area twice daily. Make sure you get the solution, not the scrub. This is an antibacterial and will dry the lesion out to allow it to heal. No need to rinse this, let it dry on her skin, and there is no worry if it gets in her eyes. Betadine solution does not contain a soap, and thus cannot hurt her eyes. Betadine scrub has the soap content and so I don't recommend using it around the eyes. It does stain horribly though so you probably want to do this outside or in a laundry tub. Clipping the hair stops bacteria from wicking into the open site and allows the skin to breathe and dry.

Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to mention that Betadine solution (povidine iodine solution) is available at the drug store over the counter, without a prescription. If you have any questions ask the pharmacist to help make sure that you get the correct product.