petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Think my dog has a tail sprain. Holding tail down. Doesn't

Customer Question

Think my dog has a tail sprain. Holding tail down. Doesn't seem uncomfortable. Eating and walking ok. Just got some dog aspirin
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is the tail limp or is it just not being held up as usual? Can he still wag it?

Is he walking normally? Is he knuckling (dragging his feet on the knuckle side) at all?

Is he urinating and defecating normally?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did wag this am. Not the normal full on wag but just the lower portion of his tail.
He is walking fine I tested his reflex by turning his foot under while standing and he corrected it immediately.
Good appetite
Normal BM and Urine.
Gave him 1 aspirin 120 mg about 2 hrs ago.
He is 28 lbs
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

It is possible he has sprained his tail or otherwise strained the muscles and the only cure for that is time and resting.

Based on his breed, we do need to be concerned about a possible spinal injury as would be seen in a ruptured or bulging disc, but in those cases, the symptoms do not usually involve only the tail. I would continue to monitor him for any indication of progression of symptoms. I would use care in giving the aspirin (even though it is labelled for use in dogs) as aspirin can lead to GI discomfort in many dogs. If he is not getting better or his signs progress, I would make sure to have him evaluated by your veterinarian right away and make sure to tell them that you have given him aspirin as it may limit what they are able to offer him.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Woody. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.