Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Actually, yes. My dog ran out of s neurontin and I have some

Customer Question

Actually, yes. My dog ran out of his neurontin and I have some of my own. Can I break one in half and give it to him? He is 52 pound irish setter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

The active ingredient in these drugs is Gabapentin and there are no currently veterinary-only drugs; you might be interested to know that the drugs we dispense to our canine patients are those labeled for humans....it's what's known as "extra-labeling" and a common practice in veterinary medicine.

So, the answer to your question is that yes, your dog can take the same drug which you're taking.

The dose of your pills would be exactly the same as to what he was taking. There is a range of dosages for canines which range from 100 to 200 mg (or even higher) twice a day for a dog this size.

So, depending on the milligram size of the pills you have (400 mg, for example), then 1/2 would be his dose.

I should point out that it would be illegal for me to suggest or advise the use of a drug for a dog which has been prescribed or dispensed for a human but I can provide the dosage amount and details about the drug which is what I have done.

Oral formulations of Neurotin should be avoided in dogs since they frequently contain xylitol which can be toxic to them.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mr. Chewy. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb