Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just gave my bulldog and peke my gh blood pressure

Customer Question

I just gave my bulldog and peke my high blood pressure medicine metropol a generic to toprol 50 mg instead of clavamox
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Please see my previous reply below ...

1. This drug is in fact sometimes used in dogs so it is not toxic to them as such but 50 mg would be quite an overdose for smaller dogs like yours so urgent action is required. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dogs sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting or if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include lethargy and incoordination. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of this drug in dogs : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's Link to induce voniting

Here it is again : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Also Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of this drug { Toprol } in dogs : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The article says 6.25 to 25 mg 2 or 3 times daily. So how is one pill going to be dangerous. I'm trying to decide if I take them to emergency vet

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

50 mg for even a larger dog would be classified as an overdose, so best play safe here, either induce vomiting yourself or take them to an ER vet without delay.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buddie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Toprol ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both my dogs are well. The emergency vet wanted over $500 to see and induce voniting. I did it myself with your instructions. I was mostly worried about peek due to her lower weight. Funny thing .. Next day I found pill in bottom of her bowl so she had never ate it!

Great news! First class! I was wondering how things were going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott