Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a six yr old teacup Yorkie that has had the shakes

Customer Question

I have a six yr old teacup Yorkie that has had the shakes all day and off and on heavy panting.... I gave him honey on my finger tip about 3 hours ago and the panting and the shakes stopped. Now it has started back and he licked so coke out of a coke lid. What do you think I need to do next?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now to hear that Carson has sugar responsive signs of this nature is a real concern here. This is because it suggests that he his signs are being triggered by a low blood sugar. Now you didn't mention how his appetite is, but I suspect it is normal if you have not mentioned it. And if that is the case, we have to consider what would be causing a dog's blood sugar to crash so radically. In regards ***** ***** we can see this with dogs that have ongoing bacterial infections but also seen with liver disease, Addison's disease (where the dog produces too little steroid), heart or kidney disease (though rare) and with an insulinoma ( a pancreatic tumor that makes too much insulin). So, if he is otherwise well and eating that could be a concern here.

In regards ***** ***** to do, you want to keep boosting his sugar as needed but also make sure he is eating properly. Further to this, we'd want to have his vet check him +/- check bloods or an ultrasound to determine which of the above is present. Once we can do that, we will be able to target treatment to help Carson and stop these crashes in his blood sugar.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)