Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog was bitten about six months ago near the bas of s

Customer Question

Hi, my dog was bitten about six months ago near the bas of his tail. He appeared to heal fine after getting stitches but now he is constantly biting the area he was bitten. His wound has long disappeared so I do not know why he continues to bite so aggressively there.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Shadow is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

How long has he been biting this area?

Is he having any trouble walking, going up stairs, jumping or moving his tail?

Is he on flea prevention if so what?

Have you seen him dragging his bottom on the floor at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The biting has intensified over the last month, more so after he got neutered. He is not having any trouble walking, going up stairs, jumping, or moving his tail. The only flea prevention he has is a shampoo we use but I do not know the brand. He does not drag his bottom on the floor at all.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. One of the first things we need to do is rule out fleas. I say this because fleas are one of the most if not the most common reason for a dog to chew at the base of the tail. If he has any flea allergies then just one flea could set him in a fit. If he is not showing any signs of trouble jumping, walking or moving the tail then I do not think this is pain related.

Now there is always a chance that there is unknown damage from the bite wound or if he had any absorbable sutures one could be irritating him but since he is not on any flea prevention I would start there.

Flea shampoo will kill any fleas on him but it does not provide lasting prevention or stop the fleas in the environment. I would suggest giving him a good bath and then applying a high quality flea prevention. If you want something you can buy over the counter I would suggest Advantage however we have really been ( to our amazement) having great result with a new flea collar called Seresto. These are not cheap but they do provide 8 months worth of protection from fleas.

Oral Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight will also help with the chewing. This can be given every 8- 12 hours.

I would treat him for fleas and use the Benadryl for 3-4 days if you see no improvement I would have your vet take a look at him and make sure this is not a pain response and also check to be sure he has not developed a secondary bacterial infection from chewing.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that I am credited by justanswer for assisting you.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?
Candy