How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 25267
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Boston Terrier

Customer Question

Boston Terrier
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While there aren't any studies involving the inhalation of the spores of toxic mushrooms in dogs, I believe the amount of any toxin would be insignificant when inhaled vs ingested. Confounding the issue is that mushroom intoxication can cause acute, self-limiting GI distress; acute inebriation followed by coma - generally self-limiting; acute muscarinic signs (please see here: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=11&po=7); GI signs followed by neurologic, hepatorenal, and/or hemolytic syndromes; hallucinations - generally self-limiting; hepatoxic signs...acute GI signs, then liver failure in 24-72 hours; and renal tubular dysfunction. Decontamination would be impossible if the inhaled route were responsible for any of these symptoms and so "watchful waiting" is appropriate and treatment would be predicated upon those symptoms which arose.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Butch. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin