Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 4 yr old Border Collie, SGPT level was 191, what is

Customer Question

My 4 yr old Border Collie, SGPT level was 191, what is causing that and what can I do. Everything else was wnl.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The SGPT (ALT) is considered significantly elevated once 2-3X normal which is usually 180-270 on most machines. 191 bears watching. It indicates damage to the hepatocytes (the liver parenchyma rather than the biliary system) but doesn't tell us why that has occurred. There's no reason to treat an otherwise normal dog but rechecking that enzyme in a month is smart. Can you upload a copy of all of Cagney's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cagney. How is everything going?