Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our puggle, age 9 is dripping blood ...she vomited this

Customer Question

Our puggle, age 9 is dripping blood ...she vomited this morning and ate grass like is the norm....She went to our vet 2 weeks ago, as she was turning in circles on the rug, they emptied her anal glands...a first time ever...She has been spinning on the rug at least a dozen times a day as if the glands were never emptied.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I regret that I'm not set up to take phone calls, but I see that your request for a phone call hasn't been answered. I thought, rather than keep you waiting, I'd let you know what I thought about Tessa.

Scooting like you're describing can be a sign of anal gland discomfort or also just of general itchiness. If she's itchy elsewhere, then the scooting could just be the manifestation of her itching around her bottom. However, with the new development of blood drops on the floor, I'd suspect that maybe she's developed an anal gland abscess. This happens when the anal gland gets infected and fills with exudate (pus). Eventually, the exudate comes out, either by rupture of the anal gland or by regular expression from scooting. If the anal gland is ruptured, you'll see a small wound to one side of her rectum (or both sides if she's unlucky enough to have both anal glands infected). Anal gland infections do require a course of the right antibiotic to get better, so I'd call your vet as soon as you can. As long as she's acting otherwise well and normally, it doesn't necessarily have to be an emergency. You can apply a warm compress to her bottom two to three times a day until she can be seen.

I hope that this info helps - please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you :)

~Dr. Sara