Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I was suppose to get a 8 week old miniature dachshund puppy

Customer Question

I was suppose to get a 8 week old miniature dachshund puppy but owner called said she took puppy away from other puppy and now it won't eat or drink and is weak. She thought it was depressed from missing sibling. She took it to vet. It had a high end of normal temp yesterday. Vet did some test and everything came back normal. But today temp is up and puppy still won't eat and is weak. Any suggestions. Had all shots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. If the puppy is less than 20 weeks of age, it can be current on shots but is not fully protected from getting parvo. It would be vital to know if the vet ran a parvo test. If not, this needs to be done ASAP. Typically vomiting and/or diarrhea develops soon after the lethargy begins so this would be important to note as well. Depression from being separated can happen but if something more serious, such as parvo, is occurring, this needs to be treated soon than later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She said vet said that it didn't have any symptoms of parvo so they didn't test it.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

If the puppy is weak/lethargy and won't eat, those are symptoms of parvo. They are more early signs that can also be signs of other problems, but are still a reason to test. I also check and blood sugar level right away as well because in a small, young puppy that is not eating well, the blood sugar can drop dramatically low very quickly and is life threatening. A younger puppy certainly will have moments of being very tired and not playful, but should also have the other extreme and be active. If that is not occurring, I highly recommend at least having the blood sugar level checked. Will the puppy eat any canned food, even mixed with water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what the vet did
They did a floatation fecal, giardia test, checked her heart, lungs, knees, hips, mouth, tongue and throat. Everything was god. Gums were a normal pink color. She gave her an antacid shot, some subcutaneous fluid and syringe fed her some Royal Canin Recovery canned food and some water. Told me to feed her every hour and offer her food to see if she would eat herself and give pedialyte or Gatorade. Having to use syringe to feed her now.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is all good care that the vet did and recommended. Will she take the syringe fed food and/or drink any of the liquids?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She started on it yesterday and has taken it some but try's to turn from it so u have to hold her head so she will. I don't have her yet. She's still at the owners. I'm just really worried about her.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Understandable. I would be concerned too. When will you be getting her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was suppose to Tuesday but all this started. She took it away from the other puppies Saturday and Sunday it started not eating. So Tuesday she took it to vet. Vet told her just now to come and she would give her antibiotic for her.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Are all the other puppies ok so far? Also, any idea if the mother was vaccinated and if the puppy was nursing well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she had been vac all and was going to give this puppy her 8 week shot Tuesday til this happened. But all other ones are fine.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Unfortunately things can develop with puppies at the 8 week mark that were not apparent earlier on. This is when they are typically transitioned off of the mother completely and onto solid food. Some do need to be bottle fed or syringe fed longer if they are not taking to the canned diets well, but it is also important to rule out an underlying developmental problem such as a liver shunt (with blood work), deworm (if with a negative fecal) and parvo test. This may contradict what the vet has stated that has seen the puppy, but without seeing the puppy myself, it is my best recommendation at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked her to do a parvo test on the puppy. On the other test I sent that she did so you suggest any other kind test for her now.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so she is going to do a parvo and already did the blood sugar test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is going to do a parvo test in the next few minutes and I'm not sure if she did a blood sugar test. All I know is she did the
floatation fecal, giardia test, checked her heart, lungs, knees, hips, mouth, tongue and throat.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Ok, keep me posted with any further questions. I will be heading into a few appointments here soon but will check messages when I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I sure will let you know when I find out thanks for your help this far. I have suggested on doing a blood sugar test alsoThis is what she text me back. Just leaving vet. We are giving Nutrical in between feedings. blood sugar and she doesn't have that. The depression symptoms are similar, but the rest is not. I'm heading home to give her this med and pray she is feeling better VERY soon. This is what they did and giving her Clavamox drops 15ml btl, 3 predensoine syrup 3mg /ml,10 proviable -DC capsule and did parvo test. Hello just check in to see what u thought. I talked to her around 9 tonight and she said Lucy was acting better.