Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My almost 16 year old bichon keeps closing her left eye and

Customer Question

Hi my almost 16 year old bichon keeps closing her left eye and rubs her face on the carpet. She had cataract surgery when she was 3 with the lenses put in. Now she has sclerosis and she couldn't see very well, but now I don'think she can see at all as she is walking in to things. I cleaned the eye with saline solution and she doesn't like it! I always clean the "goop' from her eyes almost daily, but I don't know if I need drops or to bring her right away to the vet. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am so sorry to hear that your girl is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

If she keeps closing the eye and is rubbing her face on the floor this tells us she is fairly painful. This could be something as simple as a scratch, ulcer or infection however it could be more serious like pressure building in the eye.

Eyes are never something that we like to take a wait and see approach on and considering she has a history of eye problems I would suggest giving your vet a call today and getting her in right away. The most important thing is that we make sure she is not painful and if she is as I suspect then we do something to stop that and make her more comfortable.I would not recommend any eye drops or even anymore of the saline until we know exactly what is going on.

I hope this helps and this s nothing serious. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Please give her a good pet from me