Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a 2 year old French bulldog who woke up tonight with

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2 year old French bulldog who woke up tonight with one swollen eye that seems to be very itchy and irritated. He has allergies so we gave him an extra dose of his steroid pill and 100mg of neurontin that he had prescribed previous for a cyst to help calm him down. He weighs 35lbs. Can I additionally give him Benadryl as well until we can get him to the vet in the morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question. Although the addition of benedryl will not be harmful, it likely will not provide any additional relief than what the steroid provides. Typically issues with the eye that involve swelling need to be examined and have topical medication applied directly to the eye.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

The eye can also be rinsed with sterile saline like contact solution to help facilitate rinsing the eye of any allergens that can be irritating the surface.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

If the steroid he is on is prednisone, you can give 1 25 mg benedryl capsule in addition to this.