Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yesterday our 2 year old maltese was yelling and whining and

Customer Question

Yesterday our 2 year old maltese was yelling and whining and very tender when I picked him up. Today he is not complaining and a little more active but I've noticed blood on his pee pad. I'm far from a vet and I'm very worried. He is eating and drinking and his stools are fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Did he pass a large volume of urine with this blood? Or just a small bit?

Is he straining or passing small volumes of urine more often?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was his normal amount of urine and it was almost the consistency of what would be on a bandaid after a scrape but watered down. This morning my husband picked him up to put him on our bed as he was eager for that and he did not Yelp or cry at all as he had done Sunday night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His demeaner is so much betterl. Sunday Night he was yelping and whining as if he was in labor
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on his history, we do have a few concerns. Now the most common cause for blood in the urine of a young dog is a bladder infection. That said, dogs with bladder infections usually produce small volumes of urine frequently, strain, and are in constant discomfort (just as people are with cystitis). Therefore, this doesn't quite fit with his situation. And in that case, our main worries here would be urine crystal issues and bladder stones. Both can cause intermittent severe discomfort and trigger bleeding within the bladder that can appear as blood in the urine.

In this case, I am glad that he is feeling better, be we do want to tread with care. Therefore, I would strongly advise at least collecting a urine sample (free catch, not off the ground) to submit for analysis. This can be checked for signs of infection but also examined under the microscope for crystals. Otherwise, if he is due a booster soon, it'd be ideal to move that appointment up so this can be checked. That way his vet can just make sure there are no lurking bladder stones (which could get bigger over time and potentially cause more persistent signs and even require surgery to remove).

Overall, these would be our main concerns for his discomfort this weekend and that bit of blood. Therefore, we'd be best to check a urine sample and make sure there are no underlying issues lurking that we can head off to avoid any more signs like these.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will do that and make an appt for him this morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a perfect plan of action.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)