Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is in a lot of pain right now. About 2 months ago I

Customer Question

My dog is in a lot of pain right now. About 2 months ago I thought she was sick from an earache but it turned out to be her teeth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It is possible that there is another tooth that is bothering her. I recommend full mouth x-rays when a dental is done. Most teeth that have pathology will have it below the gum line. You cannot see this just by looking at the teeth. Once we see the pathology above the gum line or the tooth is loose, these are significantly diseased teeth. Those should have been removed long before.

I would get a second opinion by another vet or a veterinary dentist to see if they can get this resolved once and for all.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lala. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I took her back to vet and asked them to sedate her so they could look inside her mouth real well. I can't afford X-rays right now. She refused to let anyone look inside her mouth even when there was 2 of them trying. I was afraid they would hurt her mouth doing that so I requested she be sedated. That worked with no complication from the sedation. Turns out she has ulcers inside her mouth in both sides back in both corners. He wasn't sure what they are from. He put he on pregnozone (spelling??) and a pain reliever and I take her back for a follow up in a week. He said she might have a problem with her immune system because the infection from her teeth might have weakened it a lot. She seems to be feeling much better now though. Thank you for asking and for your advise.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ouch, ulcers in the mouth would definitely cause these signs.

These can be hard to diagnose the underlying cause. It could be secondary to bacteria in the mouth, wounds in the mouth, kidney disease (uremic ulcers) or auto-immune.

I usually treat with antibiotics and pain meds. If no improvement, I'll do bloodwork and biopsy the lesions to get an answer. Hopefully that is not needed and it clears with the pain meds and Prednisone.