Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has a splinter in her paw and its really swollen and

Customer Question

My dog has a splinter in her paw and its really swollen and she won't walk on it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for requesting me! Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has that splinter been there?

How do you know it's a splinter?

What kind of dog is she?

How old is she?

Does it seem hot to the touch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the splinter has been there since Thurs or Friday of last week. I think its a splinter because the pad is so swollen it is allowing me to see between the pads with a flash light and I can see some kind of splinter or thorn maybe. Zoëy is a 5 year old blue nose pit-bull. She will not let me get too close. I've been cleaning it with peroxide as best I can. I don't know if it is hoty but i'll bet its infected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just touched it and its not hot
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since it's swollen and painful to her, I absolutely think this is something that is worth a trip to the vet tomorrow.

I don't think you need to rush her to an emergency vet or anything tonight since she's otherwise stable, but having a vet take a peek at her tomorrow will be the best thing. They'll get her on some medication to help her be calm and will remove the splinter. Then they'll get her on some antibiotics and pain medications to help her be more comfortable until that paw heals.

I hope this helps.