Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog just has a heatstroke. He pants very loudly and vomit

Customer Question

Customer: my dog just has a heatstroke. He pants very loudly and vomit with blood. I have manage to calm his temp down and he is no longer panting loudly. He doesnt look disoriented and respond to us when we call his name. He poop and pee as usual. However he doesnt want to drink or eat. He still able to walk around our backyard and want us to play with him but which of course I was so worried and put him in crate to rest.He does have foam in his mouth which we have try to clear by taking it out. Is his condition very serious? considering the fact that he still walks around and attempt to play with us. but he doesnt drink or eat which makes me very worried
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i read somewhere online that if he vomit with blood probably mean he is in shock from heatstroke? what can i do to make him feel better so he can eat and drink? How long does it usually take to recover from heatstroke?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bruno. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Vomiting blood can happen with many medical conditions. I would not be thinking this was a heat stroke. What is his rectal temperature? Has he been running hard on a hot day? If you check his gums, are they a normal pink color? He could be nauseous, foaming, and vomiting for many reasons: something he ate, an infection, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was walking him and he was panting more than usual. And he refused to walk and lie down on the ground. He keep on panting and i rush him home. Thats when he start to vomit blood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think it might be something he ate because he was panting so loudly and he refused to walk
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Unless it is a hot day, and he has a rectal temperature over 104, this may not be a heat stroke. Dogs usually get heat strokes from being accidentally locked in cars with the windows up, or from running and playing hard on a hot day without rest or water. If you check his gums, are they pink in color or pale? Can you take his temperature?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he were mine, I would start by checking his gums, listening to his heart and lungs, and taking his temperature. It could be a heat stroke, but that does not usually happen in young dogs just taking a walk. I wish I could see his gums, feel his pulse, listen to him with a stethosocope!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he is vomiting blood, I am pretty worried. Can you get him to veterinarian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have a thermometer currently. But he did walk more than usual. He is just a 4 months bulldog. During the walk, he wanted to stop and rest but i was rushing him home because i need to feed my baby. He attempt to rest many times but i push him to walk. Hmm can it be over exhaustion? He was really panting so loudly. And then when he reach the doorstep, he start to vomit with blood.Yes i will definitely bring him to vet but i have to wait till morning because it is midnight over here.I am just so worried for him. And i really hope i can do something for him to feel better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are slightly pale.. Usually i think is more pink.. But he does has many foam at his mouth which happen after he start vomit... Usually he doesnt have any foam at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But i am really concern because the place where i live.. Do not have professional vet. They will probably just give him some general medicine and send him home :(
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Having to stop and rest could be exhaustion, but he seems too young for that. I would be worried about his heart, lungs, digestive tract, or internal bleeding. If his gums look pale, that is concerning to me, a possible sign of shock, internal bleeding, internal illness. I really wound need to examine him to narrow down the possibilities of what is wrong. I hope he is stable until you can get him to a veterinarian.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I will surely bring him first thing in the morning. I really hope he will be fine because this is my first time having a dog so i am not too sure what to do.
Can i check if this is really heatstroke how long does it take for a dog to recover from heatstroke?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The only way to check if this is heatstroke is to take his rectal temperature. Usually dogs with heat stroke are over 105, I have seen 108. Normal is 101 to 102. Recovery from heatstroke can be rapid as soon as you cool the dog down, and start IV fluids.