Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has been panting hard lately even when she is resting

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Panting alone can indicate a lot of different things including to cool down, stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever.

Since she is an elderly dog, this could due to pain possibly arthritis, ore even a heart issue. I'd get her into your vet and have a senior checkup done. You could take her temperature rectally to check for fever keeping in mind a dog's normal temperature is 102.5F. Without testing or a physical exam, it really would be hard to give an exact cause for the panting though.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.