Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

MY LAB HAS 2 SORES ON BACK THEY LOOK VERY RED WHERE HE HAS

Customer Question

HI . I'M DEBRA MY LAB HAS 2 SORES ON BACK THEY
LOOK VERY RED WHERE HE HAS BITING COULD HE HAVE
A FLEA BITING
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help but I have a few questions.

Have you noticed fleas?

Can you send me a picture?

Was he scratching or chewing before you noticed these wounds?

How much does he weigh?

Does he take any medications or have other medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I' not sure he has a new flea collar i just noticed this morning he must have done it last nite he weighs about 30lbs he is 16 months
no medical condition no medications

Thank you for the information. What you've described sounds like a hot spot. It is a wound caused by a dog chewing or licking at an area and is typically caused by allergies. Flea allergy is a common cause but so are dust, pollen, grass, etc. They can occur very quickly and in some cases require oral antibiotics and medications. For now, there are some things you can try at home:

1. If possible, clip the hair off the wound. Sometimes this is too painful but removing the hair will help prevent matting and infection.
  2. Gently clean the wounds with warm water 2-3 times daily and then dry it off thoroughly.
  3. After cleaning apply a triple antibiotic ointment and a hydrocortisone ointment. You can find these at your local pharmacy
  4. You can give 25 mg of benadryl every 8 hours and it may help with allergic reactions and itching. It might make him sleepy.

It is best to have him seen by your veterinarian as soon as you can. These treatments will help but the vast majority still need prescription medications. If you have more questions please reply back.