Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 4 month old gsd puppy is teething. what can i give her to

Customer Question

hi, my 4 month old gsd puppy is teething. what can i give her to alleviate the discomfort?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Is she currently using chew toys at all?

Is she acting painful?

Eating/drinking normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does have chew toys. She's acting painful - whining and not settling down. She's eating and drinking ok - been better.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

There are a couple things you can try:

First, if she has a chew toy that is made of cloth (such as a stuffed animal or tug rope), you can get it wet in the sink and then freeze it. Then when once it's frozen, give it to her to chew on. Just like in humans, the cold will help alleviate the swelling and will make his mouth more comfortable.

Second...you could give her 1/2 of a childrens aspirin....ONLY children's aspirin...we never use products like Naproxen Sodium, Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen in dogs because they can be toxic even in small doses. You can give that 1/2 a children's aspirin once every 10 hours.

The most important thing though is that you try to keep in mind that this is a stage that she will grow out of it. But if the aspirin doesn't help, you can give your regular vet a call on Monday and have them take a peek at her, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.