Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne ,
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My 9 year old Boston was recently diagnosed with a moderate

Customer Question

Hi
My 9 year old Boston was recently diagnosed with a moderate heart murmer. I have noticed he is coughing periodically during the day. He is not on medication. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with you Bailey today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long ago was he diagnosed with a heart murmur? Is he showing any signs of increased breathing rate, or increased breathing effort?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagnosed 3 months ago, no other symptoms except the periodic coughing

Okay thanks for the additional information. If Bailey is starting to cough now I would definitely recommend ruling out if the cough is related to the heart. That would involve having x-rays of Bailey's chest performed. What the x-rays would rule out is if Bailey is coughing because he is developing fluid in his chest from his heart condition also known as pulmonary edema. That would be the first indication of Congestive Heart failure and at that point Bailey may need to be put on heart medication to help decrease the amount of fluid in his chest. I would also recommend an heart ultrasound to determine the cause of the murmur. This will help determine if the heart size is increasing and help with what specific medications he will need to help him with his heart condition.