Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a female Doberman puppy a little over 5 mos old,

Customer Question

I have a female Doberman puppy a little over 5 mos old, around 33 lb. My husband laid 2 or possibly 3 cig butts on the ground. She went around the corner and of course went right for them. Husband grabbed her and picked 2 butts up. He can't recall if there was a 3rd so we're not sure that she even ate one. If she did swallow one, is she in any danger? Should we use peroxide to cause her to vomit or should we just watch her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** i"m happy to help you with your question.

Yes....you should absolutely induce vomiting. Cigarette butts are actually worse for a dog to eat than you'd think because they contain all the residue and carcinogens from smoking the cigarette.

So if you have peroxide on hand, I'd definitely suggest getting her to vomit. The way to make that happen is pretty easy and instructions can be found here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would give the peroxide and make her vomit up the butt.