Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Same my older dog battling pnumonia was prescribed both. Is

Customer Question

Same my older dog battling pnumonia was prescribed both. Is there anything to can give her to reduce the mucus?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There is no recommended dosing for the expectorant guaifenesin (Mucinex) in dogs in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed.. 2015. This drug is reserved for large animals. I have found anecdotal doses of 20 mg/lb twice daily which should be safe for her, however. It's best to avoid antihistamines such as Benadryl and decongestants such as pseudoephedrine as both will result in retention of the muco-purulent (mucus+ pus) exudate forming in her respiratory tract. We particularly don't want to trap that infected exudate in her lungfields. The expectorant makes the most sense. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Janet,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?