Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

A week from Sunday we noticed our 10 yr old aussie

Customer Question

A week from Sunday we noticed our 10 yr old aussie struggling to move its hind legs, took to the vet, ran blood test and urine test all looked good, xray of hind legs looked ok, but he was running a 104 temp. Vet gave us a antibiotic and was not sure of the issue.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is sick. It sounds like he may have two different problems.

The first problem is the weakness in the hind legs. This is likely due to degenerative myelopathy if the hip x-rays looked good. This can be difficult to treat but treatments would include anti-inflammatory medications such rimadyl, Vitamin E supplements (200U twice daily) and glucosamine supplements (Cosequin or Dasuquin).

The second problem is the fever. Fevers can be caused by a bacterial infection (hence the antibiotics) but they can also be caused by inflammation. The inflammation could be caused by an immune system problem, organ dysfunction, or cancer.

If your dog is not improving with the antibiotics I would recommend considering an abdominal ultrasound and chest x-rays to screen for cancer.

I am sorry this answer doesn't have good news, but I hope it helps.

Good luck to you and your dog.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi! How is your dog? Any change in his ability to get around? Were you able to take him to the vet?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda