Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My F Basset has very gh ALK PHOS, she is 13. Otherwise she

Customer Question

My F Basset has very high ALK PHOS, she is 13. Otherwise she seems normal?Does she have liver tumor?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The alkaline phosphatase is a nonspecific enzyme often elevated in our elderly dogs who are otherwise normal. It needs to be evaluated alongside other test results to be meaningful. Can you upload a copy of all of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a PDF of the labs. Is there an email I can send it to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I got it sent to you?? Did you receive the lab results?
Thx

You should be able to attach the .pdf by using the paperclip icon above your message box. If you don't see that icon, please send it to***@******.*** who will then forward it to me. It can take up to 24 hours.

No, I haven't received the file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have the ability to attach it. I sent it - its a PDF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached it........

Thank you! All of the enzymes (AP, ALT, GGT) referable to the liver are significantly elevated. These elevations, however, don't tell me why that's occurred. An ultrasound-guided needle biopsy (or abdominal exploratory) is needed to identify the etiology of those elevations. There doesn't appear to be any urgency in doing a biopsy because she's otherwise normal. In these cases, I would simply recheck those tests in 3-4 weeks and only pursue advanced diagnostics if those values continued to elevate. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Rob,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?