Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My puppy is 11 weeks and was bit by my other dog and she is

Customer Question

My puppy is 11 weeks and was bit by my other dog and she is now very hyper, biting, running around a lot and whining a lot too...
She has seen a vet and been given pain relief and antibiotics... What can I do....?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , the original expert you asked for is either not online, no longer working here, or no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert, the person you request has a lock/hold on the question before any other expert can take it, which can make your wait time longer.

This would be prime puppy biting time as they explore their world with their mouths. They are often taken away from their litter mates before they learn what bite inhibition is.

In order to get a puppy to stop biting you can put Grannicks bitter apple on your exposed skin as most dogs do not like the taste of this. You can find this in a pet store.

When the puppy bites you can yelp and walk away which is what another litter mate would do to tell a pup they have gone to far so play is ended.

You can gate off an area and when the pup bites just say oops time out, then remove the pup from your area.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Training tires the mind and body so the dog is more likely to tire out and rest.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Also training the dog to get items for a food reward also helps. You can put a name to a toy such as 'Ball' and ask the pup to find that , when the dog brings it back to you or finds it reward that behavior.

Generally when we want a dog to stop one behavior we teach it a behavior we want it to do instead.

This is a stage that all pups go through and takes patience , but once the training clicks in, it should get better.