Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our dog is 7 year old golden doodle, aproximately 65 lbs.

Customer Question

She got up suddenly from sitting next to me, took about 4 steps and collapsed on her side. I was next to her and just talking to her. She lay very still for about 5 minutes and then got up.
I'm not sure if I should take her to an ER vet or see what may happen.
Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Did she seem to pass out/faint ?

Was she responsive to you?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You may have gone offline. If she seemed to pass out that is an indication of a possible heart problem.

At this age you also have to consider seizure activity from something pressing on the brain.

I would check her vital signs and I will direct you to a link for this but if her gums are pale, white or bluish especially if this happens again it is an emergency.

To be on the safe side I would have her seen tonight.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Here is more on syncope in dogs (passing out) http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_syncope

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Checking the vital signs What is Normal in dogs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. She didn't lose consciousness. Her eyes were open, did blink if I put my hand near them. Her breathing was very fast but has know slowed.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You can try keeping an eye on her tonight, but I do think you are dealing with a heart problem. It is possible an ekg or echo cardiogram may be needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We let her sit up. She finally stood and went to the door like she does if she has to go bathroom. We let her, she urinated, ran a little and came in and layed back down.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes with a heart problem they may go down suddenly and once the heart is back in rhythm they go back to being normal, until the next time. In many instances a dog can go un-diagnosed with a heart problem because when they go to a Vet their heart is in rhythm.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Keep an eye on her, take the vital signs in the link I sent you, but if it happen again I would take her in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will the vet know if she have a heart issue if she is normal when visiting him
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hearts that are out of rhythm and go back into rhythm can usually be seen through an echo cardiogram. It might go un noticed with just a stethoscope. Be sure to tell them about this event

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for help.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Wishing you and your pup the best:)