Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My great dane keep getting up and panting and had diarrhea

Customer Question

Hi, my great dane keep getting up and panting and had diarrhea this morning and just tried to go again, and had diarrhea again but it took he a while to go and little came out. She seems a little off, walking slow. I have Vet appointment in 2 hours, but wasnt sure if I should consider an emergency and go now?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She’s laying down now, but keeps by me, panting and keep going to door as if she wants to go out. When out she heads toward trees / shade to try to go the bathroom, just seems off. Again, I have Vet appointment in 1 1/2 hours now, but wasnt sure if I should consider an emergency and bring her now?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as she isn't bloated, can pass urine, her gums are pink, has no belly pain, and has not eaten anything harmful; then this is not likely to be an emergency. What you have described sounds like a dog with diarrhea and secondary colic irritation (from the abnormal stool irritating her lower bowel). So, as long as you are not seeing those signs, then we would want her seen at her appointment time. Of course, I would suggest bringing a sample of her diarrhea with you so that it can be tested by her vet if needed. And while we don't want to start any medication at this point, you can choose to rest her stomach, encourage her to drink water (to maintain hydration), and/or offer a light diet (ie rice with chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg). But again the signs you have noted sound like she is uncomfortable (and its great you are having her seen today), but we'd not rush her in sooner.

Take care,

Dr. B.