petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog has red spots on s belly and had fleas which i

Customer Question

my dog has red spots on his belly and had fleas which i treated him for. he is now beginning to lose hair under his "arms" leaving a pink area. i am going nuts trying to
figure out how to give him some relief. it doesn't seem to get better no matter time of day or any efforts on my part, he's a sweet chi/weiny mix.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

What it sounds like Boozer may be experiencing is what is called a pyoderma or a skin infection. These can cause bumps as you describe as well as itch. They are often secondary to underlying allergies in dogs which also can make her skin itch. Dogs can be allergic to various things including environmental allergens, food ingredients and fleas. In young dogs especially, we also have to be concerned with the possibility of mange mites that live in the hair follicles being an underlying factor.

What he needs is an exam by your veterinarian so that these things can be ruled out and the proper medicine may be prescribed. If there is an infection, he will need at least 3 weeks of an oral antibiotic. Many of these dogs will also need a short course of steroid to break the itch cycle in some cases. In cases where the sores are widespread as you describe, topical treatments are not usually effective and oral antibiotics are needed.

In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves and in some cases, may be all that is needed.

In the meantime, continuing with the Benedryl may or may not be helpful, but certainly won't hurt. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg. This can be repeated two times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you may need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your answer is very thorough and i couldn't really expect more. i'm sure you are a good person and dr.
i AM upset though by this service that i feel really uses questionable tactics to get someone financially
involved beyond what "(in some cases) they can not afford nor would choose to do. of course i could find no way to contact them to say , "no thank you. i dont want to sign up for a monthly anything" i wanted to find out how i could help my best friend
(my dog) i'll see what i can do to un-enroll but any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I will forward your post to customer service and they can help you.