Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 3 1/2 year old yorkie that is very lethargic and

Customer Question

Hi I have a 3 1/2 year old yorkie that is very lethargic and acts like it hurts to walk. I took her to see her regular vet on Friday and had to force the vet to take an x-Ray because I had a prior yorkie that was doing the same thing and she had a tumor on her heart. She took the x-ray and said she is showing signs of an abnormal heart but we need to take her to a specialist. We have an appointment on Tuesday morning but my baby seems to be getting worse any recommendations?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This certainly could be due to heart disease but Reese is so young, this seems unlikely. The more common problem would be an unstable disc in her neck or back that is causing her pain and interfering with the nerve supply to her legs. This can hapen when she jumps on or off something or just moves the wrong way. For now, give sweet little Reese aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs until Tuesday when she has her appointment. This will not hurt her if this is a heart issue but may resolve her problems. DO NOT allow Reese to climb stairs or even jump on or off anything to allow the disc, if this is what is causing this, to stabilize. Baby aspirin is best because they are 81 mg each.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that, thank you , the vet told us the X-ray showed a long heart (not sure what that means) possibly a valve issue, still she was unsure. She gave no medication because she was unsure of the issue. Reese had a normal heart rate and no murmur. However Reese does not want to do anything but lay around. She won't even get up for a treat. It hurts my heart to see her this way. Is there anything I should watch for that I should take her to the emergency vet?

Reese may have a minor heart issue but this would not cause this lethargy and depression....try the aspirin to see if she is in pain. you will see in only a day if this is helping your sweet Gal.

Hi Leeann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Reese. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is much better. I continued the aspirin for a couple of days and she is running and playing again acting normal. Do you think I should follow up with a specialist about the X-ray taken that the vet said may be a heart issue ?

I am so happy to know that Reese has improved! I would certainly followup with a specialist just to be safe since Reese is so young...