Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a German Shepherd dog, 12 yrs of age. I have been

Customer Question

Hi Dr. B I have a German Shepherd dog, 12 yrs of age. I have been having problems with her having loose and sometimes green stools. My vet has done numerous tests and we have not been able to come to a conclusion. The stool can change from almost being constipated and brown at the first part to green and quite runny by the end. She has always liked to eat poop, so I do not ever leave her outside by herself, I always go out with her. The green stool has a very foul odor. The vet has put her on a special veterinary diet but the issue is still there. She is quite an emotional girl and quite high strung. Help please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has the vet tried any medications such as Metronidazole?

Have they ever considered IBD?

Has your vet recommend seeing a veterinary internist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lisa, Nykea is on Hills ID diet. She has been on prednisone and probiotics but that didn't seem to help. My vet has never mentioned a veterinary internist. He has done all the blood tests and has found nothing. She is quite high strung and seems better when things are the same all the time. I have tried many diets and have tried raw food. Everything seems to work for a while, but once I get her up to 3 cups a day she seems to have problems again.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The loose stool combined with the transient constipation makes me wonder if there's something going on that is normally associated with inflammation of the rectum or anus such as rectal or anal strictures, anal gland infections, perianal fistulas, cancers, rectal polyps, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), parasites, prostate disease (males), or even some infections. GSDs tend to get things like fistulas or IBD more frequently than some other breeds, so if your girl had come into our clinic, those would be the first things we'd check for.

Depending on what is going on with her . The vet will often treat these dogs with Flagyl, and prescribe a bland diet (boiled white rice and boiled hamburger or chicken ( which is clearly already something you've been doing for her with the I/D) for about a week or so to see if that helps things.

Since your vet has already run all the routine tests for this kind of issue, my next step would be one of two things....first, a possible ultrasound to rule out things like IBD. If that comes up clear, then it's time to be referred to a veterinary internist or other specialist. I'm sure your vet is awesome at his job, but sometimes a case can be so challenging that a referral is the best way to go.

I hope this helps.