Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog stopped eating a week ago but still drinking. I just

Customer Question

My dog stopped eating a week ago but still drinking. I just found maggots coming out her anus
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned about 8 -10 of them out and cleaned the area. I'm scared to death
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , the original expert you asked for is either not online, no longer working here, or no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert, the person you request has a lock/hold on the question before any other expert can take it, which can make your wait time longer.

What you may be seeing is tape worm segments.These do look like maggots or small grains of rice and will come out with a bowl movement as the worm is in the intestines.This may also be why she is not eating properly.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

However if there are any open wounds near the anus then you may be seeing maggots.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Given the dog's age it would be advisable to see your Vet for treatment.