Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 15 year old terrier has a 5cm mass in s middle lung lobe

Customer Question

Hi, my 15 year old ***** ***** terrier has a 5cm mass in his middle lung lobe and might involve two lobes. Surgeon does not want to perform surgery do to his age. There is no evidence anywhere else in his body. He had his spleen removed a year and a half ago. The surgeon does not think the two lesions are connected. He is a very young and healthy 16 year old. What is your advise. I am taking him to a cancer specialist on Tuesdayto get a biopsy . I want to find a surgeon that will take out the growth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to discuss this with you. First I should start by saying that this is a very personal decision. Most ***** *****s are not in very good shape at his age. I will tell you though that if you keep looking you will find someone who will do the surgery. Cancer specialists in particular will do surgeries sometimes even when it may not be in the best interest of the patient. I am not trying to make them sound bad , it is just the nature of what they do. I personally would not have this surgery done if Captain was my dog. I would allow my dog to live out the rest of his life in peace and give him a peaceful ending when the time comes.

A thoracotomy sx to remove potentially two lung lobes is one of the most advanced and painful surgeries an animal can have no matter how well they do pain control. The other side of this is that at the age of 15 years, it is very unlikely that Captain is going to live much longer as something else will happen to him due to age.

I realize you probably did not want to hear any of this.......but I am giving you an opinion that has been formed over 25 years of practice and seeing many cases like this one. I do hope this will help you and I am happy to host any follow up questions that you may have. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please hit rate my service as this is the only way I am compensated. I will be back online in the amin case you havefollow up questions.Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am checking back with you to see if I can answer any other questions for you. I am here if you need me, including for emotional support. I check my computer twice each day,so if you need anything else please let me know. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am grateful for his expertise . The surgeon that said no to surgery didn't tell me how painful the recovery is . I underdtsnd
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to have to tell you so bad news. Please let me know if you need further help otherwise hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much. Dr b