Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a staffy and she was making this weird noise earlier.

Customer Question

Hi I have a staffy and she was making this weird noise earlier. I was thinking maybe it was collapsed trachea, but is that only in smaller breed dogs? What could it be and what should I do if it happens again?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , the original expert you asked for is either not online, no longer working here, or no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert, the person you request has a lock/hold on the question before any other expert can take it, which can make your wait time longer.

Does it sound like the dog is sucking in air quickly or choking/ gagging on something?

Does it come on at any time of the day or night?

What happens when you rub under her jaw?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

It seems you may be offline now. Going by your description I am thinking you may be seeing a reverse sneeze which does sound like a collapse trachea.

I am going to direct you to a link that explains this and to a video of a dog doing a reverse sneeze. Some dogs are more dramatic than others but from the video you should be able to get an idea if it is the same thing you are seeing.

If it is not, since most things are hard to duplicate at a Vet office, you may want to video tape the dog going through this and show it to your vet.

Usually with a reverse sneeze if you rub up and down the neck area, the episode subsides sooner.

reverse sneeze

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_multi_sneezing

Video https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=reverse+sneeze+video+dog&oq=reverse+sneeze+video+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0j0i7i30j0i30l4j0i5i30l4.1318.8303.0.9887.22.20.0.2.2.0.400.2313.5j10j1j0j1.17.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..4.18.1921.0.k807cjeyCVw

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dusty. How is everything going?
Sally G.