Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been sick last few days. She also had a rapid

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has been sick for the last few days. She also had a rapid weight loss, constipation and lethargy. I have noticed some balance issues too. She was to the vet this AM, labs- + anemia, increased WBC, high Ca, liver function normal. She had a T of 103. She was started on antibiotics, which she can not keep down. I can get her to eat small amounts of boiled chicken and brown rice and she is drinking water. Her belly does look distended and she seems to be constipated. The vet is worried about cancer, but her lymph nodes are not enlarged. Any other ideas?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just wondering if something was missed. She does not eat random things and there are no poisons around the property. My other dog who eats the same food, Born Free, is not sick. We are thinking its been about 1 week to 2 weeks that she has not been finishing all her food and now she is very ill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, I forgot this, she had 2 small orange colored stools yesterday, no stool today. Did take a sample in yesterday and the labs were drawn today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I share your concern about Abbey.

Just to comment on your mention of her lymph nodes, it is important to know that the lymph nodes do not need to be up in all forms of cancer. They often are elevated in lymphoma cases but even then we can see a lack of enlargement of external nodes while the GI or internal nodes are affected by the tumor. Therefore, if we have gut signs, belly distension, and a cancer worry, then it'd be worth speaking to her vet about an ultrasound. This would let you see inside and determine the root of her issues. You will be able to detect if she is actually constipated or if there is fluid compressing her GI (making it hard to pass stool) or changes/thickening in her intestines that are preventing her from passing normal stool. Depending on the findings of these, you will be able to appreciate what is triggering her signs and what can be done to help her. As well, it may also be worth having them examine those white blood cells in her blood sample to make sure they are not cancerous in nature.

Finally, just in regards ***** ***** GI signs, if the antibiotics are making her nauseous then you can speak to her vet about dispensing oral anti-nausea treatments (ie Cerenia, Metoclopramide, Zofran) or you can even try her with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac). As well, if she has straining to pass feces, then use of a cat hair ball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can be used to ease her passage of stool.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Abbey. How is everything going?
nekovet