Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a small Pomeranian and she picked up a mouse block

Customer Question

I have a small Pomeranian and she picked up a mouse block she had it in her mouth when I saw her she did not chew on it but would not let go of it and some scrapped of on her teeth so I know she got a small amount of it what do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am sorry to hear that your girl got a hold of some rat bait. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Even though it was only a small amount I would suggest inducing vomiting to try to get any of the poison out. This can be done by giving 3%hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight. Giving a 1/2 piece of milk soaked bread will help give her something to vomit up. You can also mix the peroxide with a tablespoon of milk to mask the taste. After giving walk her around to mix the stomach up. If she does not vomit with in 10 minutes this can be given one more time.

If you are able to get her to vomit you still want to watch her closely, some rat poisons interfere with the clotting factors of the blood others cause swelling in the brain. There is no antidote for the type that causes the brain swelling.

If at all possible just to be on the safe side I would have her seen tonight at your local ER. If that is not possible I would keep a close eye on her tonight. If she seems depressed, stumbles or seems off neurologically at all having her seen tonight is a must. If she does ok then I would give your regular vet a call in the morning, let them know what happened and see if they want to put her on a round of Vit K1 as a precaution.

I do not think if she just got a small amount that scrapped off on her teeth this will cause major complication however considering her small size it would be best to err on the side of caution.

I hope this helps and she does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so I am compensated by just answer for assisting you this evening.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will not vomit although I geel as though I need to she is acting fine so is taking her to the vet in the morning at 7:30 and getting her treatment for the Vitamin K shot and vitamin K pills going to suffice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been three hours since this happened and I did not know what it was that she found but I took it away from her I couldn't get a hold of my husband and he didn't get home until right before I contacted you.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I apologize was was offline for the night when you responded back. I had not realized that it had been 3 hours since that happened or I would not have had you try to induce vomiting.

How is she today where you able to get in to the vet