Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I do canine rescue, and have a female spayed 8 year old

Customer Question

Hi there,
I do canine rescue, and have a female spayed 8 year old newfie who has a 103.5 temp tonight, and showed signs of discomfort when eating. She is also drooling more. I looked in her mouth an smell a foul smell, and she whimpered. Her underside of her tongue is indeed spelled. Gums are pink. I do have benadryl and have expired prednisone but 2015 kitty cat predisolone. I also have various antibiotics e.g clindamysin, calavamox, and Baytril. Torn on taking her to a $$$$ER tonight or just bring her in in morning in 10 hours from now.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in canine Health. The temp is a bit high and we need to get that down. Please take some cool water on a rag and apply to the groin area stomach and neck. You can also use a little rubbing alcohol on the pads of the feet to help reduce the fever. The Normal Temp is 100.5-102.5, so the first step in making the Newfie feeling better will be to get the fever down. Next you can give a Pepcid Ac to help with the Nausea. Usually when we see excessive drooling like what you described, it is due to nausea. Reducing the fever and stopping the nausea should hold the dog over until the morning. I do not suggest giving any medication, until see by the Vet. The Nausea and fever needs to be controled and give a medication now may cause further problems. You definitely do not want to give Prednisone, because if the Vet has to give an anti inflammatory or pain, it may be prohibitive do to being medicated tonight. Reducing the fever and something for nausea should hold the Dog until morning.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check in and see how your Newfie is doing? Were you able to get the fever down? What did the Vet find?