Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I brought my dog to the vet almost a week ago because i

Customer Question

I brought my dog to the vet almost a week ago because i though she had a bladder infection. The small urine sample I brought in had lots of blood in it and the Dr. said there were some crystals in it when might mean bladder stones. She is now on antibiotic for a urinary tract infection. Tonight she was struggling to pee and finally peed a puddle of bloody urine with a stone in it. Should I call the ER or can it wait until morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Is she otherwise acting normal (eating, drinking, active, etc.)? Has she passed any urine since the stone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not passed urine since she passed the stone. She has been eating and drinking fine. Right not she is laying down but I can tell she is uncomfortable.

As long as she is not trying to urinate but can't and doing well otherwise then it is fine to wait until morning. If she tries to urinate but can't pass anything or starts vomiting then take her tonight since that could be signs of a urinary blockage. Luckily that is extremely rare in female dogs. If you have more questions please reply back. Make sure to save the stone and take it to your vet tomorrow. They may want to send it off for testing to find out what kind of stone it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you very much!

You're welcome. Good luck.