Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my 22 lb 3 yr old pug just swallowed one of my 10 mg

Customer Question

I think my 22 lb 3 yr old pug just swallowed one of my 10 mg ambien. What should I give her to counter act it? It has been 10 minutes, and she is acting normal so far.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First,as I am sure you can appreciate, these are not medications often used in veterinary medicine for this species. Still, we do have an idea of safe doses and adverse effects that this can cause. Now she has had a 1 mg/kg dose. This is significant dose for a dog her size. We'd not necessarily expect signs yet, but we may see drooling, agitation, wobbliness,restlessness, hyper-sensitivity, panting, and GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea,appetite decline). As well, there have been reports of this drug potentially causing tremors and elevation of the heart rate. So, if she just had this, we need to act fast.

Therefore, at this stage, we'd want to consider inducing vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper,syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting.If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet(or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues....

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

As well or alternatively (especially if you cannot get her vomiting), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

So, if it has been <2 hours, then we'd want to use the above to get the tablet back and/or block her absorption of this. Otherwise, if you cannot do so for any reason, then we'd need to think about seeing her vet since this was quite a significant dose and the risk of those signs is likely here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After all my concerns..... I don't think she ate it. She is acting pretty normal.
Thank you for your concern and help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear, as that is the best scenario here. :)

All the best,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia S Jones. How is everything going?
nekovet